Sail Away Sweet Sister

This is all about God, prayer, community, music, art, poetry, theology, love and all sorts of things people run into on their life journey, especially when the second half of life is looming ahead. It is inspired by Fr Richard Rohr, by the Contemplative Outreach of Fr Thomas Keating, by C.G. Jung, by C.S. Lewis, Alan Watts, St Beuno's retreat house and all the communities I have a privilege to belong to. It is dedicated to and I hope will be used by my nearest and dearest, scattered all over the planet, and who are falling upwards with me.

Wednesday 13 April 2016

Inhabiting Time

A question made me stop in the middle of the trottoir today as I walked towards my office, listening to a podcast by Melvyn Bragg, "History of ideas". His guests, distinguished neuroscientists and philosophers and writers, were discussing a really "hot" topic : "What does it mean to be me?". I remember various club members quite struggling with the question, personally and now some of us, professionally, so of course I was all ears.

One of the guests said at some point, talking about the moment when she thought she emerged as a distinct person: "I was wondering how I could inhabit fully the limited time I was given".

To inhabit time fully; that's the way I have never thought about life! Much in it has been about space, but actually little, about time. Yet, as I am growing older (yes I know, I am the eternal youngest of the lot anyway), inhabiting time sounds quite meaningful to me. Aren't we included in God's creation, aren't we participating in it by inhabiting fully that little slot we are born into?

8 comments:

  1. I think this is a great way to imagine completeness. Inhabiting time fully makes me think of Eckhart Tolle, who is frequently an inspiration to me. He differentiates the 'Eternal Now' from 'psychological time', saying that the latter is what we actually make for ourselves (in a burdensome way) when we inhabit the past or the future in our minds in regret, anxious fear or any other kind of self-judgment. For him this means we entirely fail to inhabit the present moment at all, so there is no chance in hell of inhabiting life fully. I guess the Eternal Now is to get one's egoic self out of the way and to inhabit the Godself that we are at birth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL facile pleb! thanks for the contribution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent blog. your blog post style such a different from other.

    Best Jackpot Call Tips | Mcx Silver Tips Free Trial

    ReplyDelete